Self of the Therapist with Escalated Clients
Friday May 19, 2023
About The Workshop
This workshop will create space for attachment-based experiential therapists to fine-tune ourselves as therapeutic instruments in our clinical work with a focus on being present with escalated couples. Participants will be guided through exercises, and role plays to notice our own affective experiences and provide guidance in utilizing ourselves in an attuned way in the therapeutic process when intense, secondary emotions are up and running in the session. This workshop will support participants to be more informed on how our self of therapist processes interact with the client’s processes in treatment, and to grow in our confidence in working with escalated clients.
- Participants will be aware of their affective responses to when clients escalate in session, and how they can ground themselves to stay attuned to the clinical process.
- Participants will learn interventions to de-escalate and regain focus in the session.
- Participants will learn how to access the primary emotions and attachment meaning embedded in escalation.
Date: Friday, May 19, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm CDT
Location: Adler University, 17 N. Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60602
Cost: $210 / $190 for ChicagoEFT members (log in for member pricing)
About the Trainers
Dr. James Hawkins, ‘Doc Hawk’, is a Licensed Counsellor with 11 years of experience and an ICEEFT certified trainer, supervisor, and therapist. He obtained a Master’s in Marriage and Family Counseling and a PhD in Psychology and Counseling. He currently serves as a Clinical Coordinator at a non-profit counseling practice in Northwest Arkansas. James is the founder of Healing Conversations, a training program developed to equip organizations and communities to have productive conversations about race. He is the co-host of two podcasts, The Leading Edge in Emotionally Focused Therapy, and The Leading Edge: Transforming Leadership Through Attachment Science. James is a part of the online training program, successinvulnerability.com developed to help EFT therapists and supervisors gain more focus in their clinical work. Doc Hawk brings a passion for helping individuals, couples, families, and communities in relational distress. James is married to his wife, Nicola, and together they have five daughters.
- Registration will close Wednesday, May 17th, 9:00 am CDT.
- Participants attending the seminar LIVE will earn 6 CE credits for attending the entire program. Partial credits will not be offered.
- ChicagoEFT is approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs (#168.000220), Psychologists (#268.000137) and for LCSWs and LCPCs (#159.000961). ChicagoEFT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Discount offered for students, active military or veterans. The discount is also given to therapists who work with under-resourced populations in a community mental health organization or similar not-for-profit organization and either work in Illinois or within a 200 mile radius of Chicago: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us how you qualify for this discount, and we will send you a code for 25% off the non-member price. If you are a member of ChicagoEFT, your maximum discount is 25% off the non-member price.
Bookings are closed for this event.