The Unspeakable Loss:
Attachment Processes and Couple Dynamics After Losing a Child
May 21, 2021
About the Workshop
The death of a child is one of the most painful events a parent can experience. In addition to its impact on the individual, it takes a heavy toll on the couple relationship. Research shows that grieving can impact the couple on multiple levels, including emotional and sexual intimacy. Couples therapists are uniquely suited to help both the individuals in the couple relationship, as well as the relationship itself. Because the death of a child activates attachment needs in both partners, it is very difficult to reach out across the pain to meet a partner’s attachment needs when both are faced with grieving at the same time. The presenter will address the importance of the relational aspects of loss from an attachment perspective as well as self-of-the-therapist issues when working with grieved parents, that may impact the therapist’s own attachment processes.
- Participants will gain knowledge about couple dynamics relevant to grieving the loss of a child.
- Participants will learn attachment processes both at an individual and a relational level specific to mourning the loss of a child.
- Participants will explore self-of-the-therapist issues that may arise when working with grief after losing a child.
Date: Friday, May 21, 2021
Time: 10am – 12:30pm CT
Location: Online via Zoom
Presenter: Ileana Ungureanu MD, PhD, LMFT, CFTP
Cost: $40 / $30 for ChicagoEFT members (log in for member pricing)
- Registration will close on Thursday, May 20th at 6pm.
- Zoom details will be sent out to all registrants after registration closes. Please add info@chicagoEFT.com to your contacts to avoid having this email sent to your spam folder.
- 2 CEU’s at no additional cost for LMFT, LCPC and LCSW
- ChicagoEFT is licensed to offer CE’s for LMFT, LCPC and LCSW professionals in the state of Illinois. Many states have reciprocity agreements and you may be able to use CE’s offered through this training. Please check with your state professional boards.
- All proceeds from this training will go to the ChicagoEFT Scholarship Fund.
About the Presenter
Dr. Ileana Ungureanu is an LMFT who specializes in working with relationships, especially couples and families where one or both partners experienced trauma, as well as individuals struggling with echoes of trauma in their relationships. She is an Assistant Professor in the Counseling program at Governors State University where she teaches master and doctoral level students. From her previous professional life, when she still worked with families but as a physician, she brings expertise in working with the impact of chronic illness on relational dynamics. She is also helping her clients to address issues of loss and grief, depression, anxiety, cross-cultural, and also spirituality and religion.