Incorporating Illness and Infertility into Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
Friday, February 18, 2022
About the Workshop
This presentation will teach therapists how to incorporate issues surrounding illness and fertility into couples therapy. Therapists will examine how existential fear and loss play out in the therapy room, both for themselves and their clients. They will gain tools for doing an effective medical assessment, for addressing illness as a defining context in client’s lives, and for effective collaboration with medical professionals. The presentation will combine didactic learning, small group discussions and role plays, and client video.
Participants will learn to:
- Do an effective medical assessment and to weave it into ongoing work with couples.
- Incorporate existential fears and loss into attachment work.
- Effectively collaborate with medical professionals to further the therapy process.
- Examine how comfortable they are addressing existential fear and loss with their clients, their own fears and coping mechanisms around illness, and how to recognize when therapist fears or coping mechanisms may be interfering with the work.
About the Trainer
Miriam Klevan has a private practice where she works with individuals and couples facing illness and infertility. After studying infertility and adoption at Northwestern University, she did a fellowship in medical family therapy through the Chicago Center for Family Health, and is passionate about combining the principles of medical family therapy with those of Emotionally Focused Therapy. She lives in Chicago with her husband, two children, and three dogs.
Date: Friday, February 18, 2022
Time: 9:30 am – 12:00 pm CST
Location: Online via Zoom
Cost: $40 / $30 for ChicagoEFT members (log in for member pricing)
- Registration will close Thursday, February 17th, 9:00 am CST.
- Zoom details will be sent out to all registrants after registration closes. Please add info@chicagoEFT.com to your contacts to avoid having this email sent to your spam folder.
- 2 CEU’s at no additional cost for LMFT, LCPC and LCSW
- ChicagoEFT is licensed to offer CE’s for LMFT, LCPC and LCSW professionals in the state of Illinois. Many states have reciprocity agreements and you may be able to use CE’s offered through this training. Please check with your state professional boards.
- Discounts are available for students, active military, veterans, therapists who work with under-resourced populations, and therapists who reside in developing regions of the world (as defined by the most recent United Nations Human Development reports). Send an email to email@example.com for information on receiving 25% off the non-member price.
Bookings are closed for this event.